I had been pondering for a while what I wanted to accomplish with this path to self-discovery and what I hoped to see in myself as I worked on becoming the best possible version of me.
I decided that I wanted to set goals and actually reach them. None of this setting lofty goals and having them all spin around out there in the abyss of my mind - but actually set step by step expectations for myself so that I would actually do something about them. I realized that I get overwhelmed easily. I have to break things down. I have so many things I want to do that I just get overwhelmed and don't know where to start or how to attack them. So, I just do nothing.
Not anymore. I am writing them down.These are my goals (and/or list of things that I have needed to get done FOREVER and can never seem to make myself finish). It is a combination of talents or interests I would like to pursue as well as projects I have started and never completed. I am just writing down the broad goal or desire now, then will work on breaking them down into more digestible pieces later. So here they are, in no particular order.
- Learn how to sew (So far I have made bags for the kids to take toys to church - my next project is to make capes for the kids. Eventually I want to learn how to sew dresses, skirts, curtains, etc.)
- Learn about photography (I am very interested in photography. I keep telling myself I am going to learn all of the technical skills and information, but still have yet to do so)
- Make a 2-week dinner menu of healthy meals (this is a part of our general goal of eating healthy, fresh meals - we will be consulting with a dietitian within the next few months)
- Turn my 2009 blog into a book (The blog is already done - I just have to format it and order it - come on Alicia!)
- Scan all of my old photos and keepsakes (this is quite the undertaking - probably why I have never gotten around to it - boy it will be nice to get rid of all of those boxes)
- Finish Weston's scrapbook and start Natalie's
- Finish unpacking and organizing our bedroom (our bedroom has yet to be "completely" unpacked since we have been married!!!)
- Become a better pianist and teacher
- Begin my family history
While working on this "exercise" I couldn't help but remember a scripture. It is found in Matthew 6:33 and again in 3 Nephi 13:33. It reads "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." My first and foremost goal instantly became clear:
- Strengthen my relationship with my Father in Heaven
No comments:
Post a Comment